Catholics in the 2016 Census
Australia’s most recent Census was held on the night of 9 August 2016. As in earlier censuses, this office acquires significant amounts of data about Catholics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. We are in the process of preparing several reports based on information form the Census.
The 2016 Social Profile of the Catholic Community in Australia. This is a national profile, covering the Catholic population for the whole of Australia.
Click here to view the report
Diocesan and Parish profiles will be available later this year.
More information on the 2016 Australian Census can be found on the Australian Bureau of Statistics website: http://www.abs.gov.au/census
Catholics in the 2011 Census
There are several national, state, parish and diocesan level reports of 2011 data on the Catholic population that are available. These reports can be accessed by clicking the links below.
The Social Profile of the Catholic Community in Australia. This is a national profile, covering the Catholic population for the whole of Australia.
Click here to view the report.
Comprehensive reports for all dioceses and parishes are also available. To view individual diocesan and parish profiles based on the 2011 Census click here: 2011 Catholic Social Profiles.
- The Australian Population by Diocese and Religion: 2011 Census
- A Profile of the Catholic Community in Australia – March 2013
- Diocese by total and Catholic population: 2011 Census Report
- Parish by total and Catholic population: 2011 Census Report (PLEASE NOTE: The Parish File is 51 pages long! Please use caution before you press “Print”)
Catholic organisations can also obtain the Excel file on which these pdfs are based. Please contact us for further info.
Please click on the links below to access the national and state level reports:
- Issue 21: First parish results from the 2011 Australian Census – 1 March 2013
- Issue 20: First Diocesan results from the 2011 National Census – 22 February 2013
- Issue 19: Who goes to Mass? – First results from the 2011 NCLS (Pt 2) – 14 December 2012
- Issue 18: Who goes to Mass? – First results from the 2011 NCLS – 2 December 2012
- Issue 17: Residential mobility of Catholics – 29 November 2012
- Issue 16: Educational qualifications of Catholics – 22 November 2012
- Issue 15 : Occupations and Industry of Employment of Catholics – 8 November 2012
- Issue 14: Catholic Families – 1 November 2012
- Issue 13: Changes over time in the Catholic population – 25 October 2012
- Issue 12: Core activity need for assistance and Caring – 18 October 2012
- Issue 11: Recent Arrivals – 11 October 2012
- Issue 10: Languages spoken at home & facility in English – 4 October 2012
- Issue 9: Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Catholics – 27 September 2012
- Issue 8: Marital Status of the Catholic Population – 20 September 2012
- Issue 7: Age and Sex Profile of Catholics – 13 September 2012
- Issue 6: Catholics Living Alone – 6 September 2012
- Issue 5: Catholic Households – 31 August 2012
- Issue 4: Ethnicity of Students Attending Catholic Schools – 24 Aug 2012
- Issue 3: Students Attending Catholic Schools – 17 Aug 2012
- Issue 2: The 2011 Catholic Population: A Multicultural Marvel! – 10 Aug 2012
- Issue 1: The Catholic Population: A 2011 census Snapshot – 3 Aug 2012
Catholics in the 2006 Census
To view diocesan and parish profiles based on the 2006 Census click here: Catholic Social Profiles.
Other useful information and links:
Website link to: Australian Bureau of Statistics